Monday, June 06, 2005

Kimura

Today I wanted to check out Kimora Lee Simmons' website to see her Baby Phat clothing line. Just wanted to see if it was any good and to see if I could find out how she got that name "Kimora" because it sounds like a submission move we do in Martial Arts "Kimura" (a.k.a. chicken wing or Ude Garami). You put the opponents arm in a similar position to the way a chicken's wing is until they feel like it is going to snap their arm. The Baby Phat site wasn't anything great and so I soon lost interest which led me on a search to something I've been wanting to find out for awhile...which was how the submission move became named the "Kimura". I came upon the site which was a biography of Masahiko Kimura who was probably the best Judoka there ever was and ever will be. He is famous for defeating Helio Gracie with the "Ude Garami" and now it is still fondly regarded as the "Kimura" in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu today....(Helio Gracie did not tap out and Kimura kept applying pressure which eventually broke his elbow! Helio still would not give up and his corner had to throw in the towel!)....YAY! now I know the story behind the "Kimura" technique and there was such an interesting story behind it!
But now I'm glad I was so curious because this guy was legendary for the sport of Judo.....apparently he had only 4 loses and became a 5th dan at age 18!!! The secret to Kimura's succes was called San Bai Ro Rioku. Under this belief he did 300 pushups daily in highschool. In University it increased to 500 and after his first victory he decided to do 1000 non-stop pushups a day to ensure future victories. Now if only I could do that many pushups!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google